In April 1914, A. B. Frankel, an East St. Louis architect, submitted plans for a three-story hospital. It was estimated to cost $20,000 with plans to open on July 4, 1915. The plans were approved, but by July 1915 only $10,110 of the $21,200 in pledges had been paid and outstanding bills totaled $1,600. It seemed as if the project would be stopped in its tracks. However, the community rallied together to finish the hospital, and on February 22, 1916, Hillsboro Hospital formally opened.
In November 1971, the hospital’s Board of Directors once again began planning for a new hospital building because the current facility no longer passed state safety standards. With the new hospital building came a new name. On October 23, 1975, the new 100-bed Hillsboro Area Hospital opened on Tremont Street.
Since the opening of the new building, Hillsboro has continued to expand: